The Board of Zoning Adjustment meets the last Tuesday of each month at 4:00 P.M. in the Council Chambers in City Hall. An agenda is sent to the Decatur Daily for advertisement in the legal section on the Thursday preceding the Tuesday meeting.
- Copies of the agenda are mailed to 10 randomly selected neighbors of all applicants submitting applications to the Board.
- Persons wishing to place items on the Board of Adjustment’s agenda must do so by the 10th day of the month.
- A fee of $50 is charged for each application to offset the cost of advertisement.
- After paying the fee in the City Clerk’s office on the first floor of City Hall, you must bring a receipt with you to the Building Department when you submit your application.
- This fee is non-refundable after the case is advertised.
- You or your authorized agent must be present at the meeting in order for your application to be heard.
- The Board of Zoning Adjustment has responsibility to hear appeals for:
- The granting of variances to the zoning and sign ordinance or the granting of special exceptions to the zoning and sign ordinance when the literal enforcement of the ordinance would cause an unnecessary hardship to the petitioner.
- The appeals of the interpretation of the zoning ordinance by the Building Director.
- To hear cases where a use permitted on appeal is contemplated.
Reference: Municode for Decatur, Alabama