Department: Fire & Rescue
Position Type: Standing Application
JOB TITLE Firefighter
STATUS Full-time Classified Service
SALARY GRADE *
Biweekly Minimum $1,907.67 Biweekly Maximum $2,831.95
Annual Minimum $49,599.40 Annual Maximum $73,630.59
*Paid Paramedic incentive for licensed Paramedics who meet current requirements of Paramedic Pay Policy (Salary information does not include shift holiday, Federal OT and paramedic incentive)
The City of Decatur is in the Retirement Systems of Alabama (RSA), currently all employees with Tier 1 retirement benefit eligibility. Benefits include tuition assistance; medical, dental, vision, vacation, sick leave, life insurance and long term disability benefits; and Employee Assistance Program. Decatur Fire/Rescue is a growing department with planned expansion upcoming. DFR has 48 on 96 hours off shift. EMT/Paramedic licensing is sponsored (paid leave and tuition); full additional training support; full Sutphen fleet; and full uniform allowance.
Competitive written examination is required for this position (for new hire candidates, not lateral transfers) and eligible candidates will receive notification of scheduled examination location and time via EMAIL, or U.S. Mail where email information is not provided on employee application or resume.
SUMMARY OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
The purpose of this classification is to perform technical and specialized work functions associated with preparing for and responding to fire, EMS, rescue, and disaster emergency and non-emergency calls, with protecting life and property, and with supporting fire safety, prevention, public relations, and equipment maintenance activities. This position is considered a full-time firefighter in accordance with the Alabama Fire College and Personnel Standards Commission section 360-X-2.-02. *Full job description, which includes Paramedic Allowance Eligibility Requirements, available upon request or at our website – https://www.cityofdecatural.com
• High school diploma or equivalent GED is required. Additional training for formal education highly desired.
• Preferential consideration will be given to candidates who possess Alabama Paramedic License.
• No experience requirements (entry level Firefighter).
• Candidates must pass the CPAT prior to eligibility for the employment process. CPAT certification is good for one year from successful completion. The following link provides information on the CPAT process: https://www.alabamafirecollege.org/courses-training/student-resources/cpat/. Candidates will take the CPAT at the Decatur testing date(s) (held at a Huntsville facility) to be announced later.
• Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid driver’s license issued by the State of Alabama for the type of vehicle or equipment operated.
• Ability to meet current requirements for Firefighter I, II, Rope 1, and Hazardous Materials Technician as set forth by the Alabama Fire College and Personnel Standards Commission.
• Possession of, or ability to readily obtain and maintain, NREMT and State of Alabama EMT-B certification.
HOW TO APPLY
The City of Decatur is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability or any other protected status.
Employment Applications are available on our website at https://www.cityofdecatural.com, or from the Human Resources Department at Fort Decatur Recreational Center, 610 4th Avenue SE, Decatur, AL 35601.
Completed employment application, with current resume (if available), must be returned to the City of Decatur Human Resources Department by the posting closing date. May be delivered in person or:
Mailed to: P. O. Box 1984, Decatur, AL 35602
Emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Faxed to: (256) 341-4895
The Human Resources Department may be contacted at (256) 341-4890
**Due to the volume of responses received, we will not be able to provide a status of consideration. Candidates who have been selected for the next step in the review process will be notified.