Manager, Building Code Inspection
Job ID#: BI023002-210519
Classification: Exempt Service Position
Job Type: Full Time
Department: Building Department
Position Type: Open Position
Salary Range Number: 20
Salary Range: Min: $47,729.07 – $72,625.42
Application Deadline: Jun 23, 2021
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- This position is responsible for managing the City’s Building Department operations and staff and to ensure compliance with codes and ordinances.
- Supervises, directs and evaluates assigned staff; handles employee concerns and problems; counsels staff; prepares employee performance appraisals, and provides guidance for training, development and personal/professional growth opportunities.
- Provides leadership and support in the Building Department in operations of commercial and residential inspections/compliance; follow-up inspections; legal proceedings for code violations and resolution of customer challenges/concerns.
- Drives continuous improvement initiatives in Building Department operations, processes, procedures, systems, field investigations, and customer service oriented objectives such as field investigations and enforcement to ensure education and compliance with city ordinances.
- Bachelor’s degree in course of study related to occupational field preferred (i.e. engineering, architecture, building inspection technology, construction management); OR any combination of education, training, and experience that provides the requisite knowledge, skills and abilities for this job.
- Requires >five (5) years of experience or service in a similar position; prior supervision/management experience is required.
- Possession of the state Residential Building Inspector and/or Commercial Building Inspector certification as well as International Code Council (ICC) certifications as related to the type of inspection conducted. Must also have the ability to obtain additional certification as may be required.
- Must be proficient with computers, including Microsoft office products/software
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license.
Employment Applications are available on our website at www.decaturalabamausa.com, or from the Human Resources Department at City Hall-2nd Floor Tower, 402 Lee St NE, Decatur, AL 35602.
Completed employment application, with current resume (if available), must be returned to the City of Decatur Human Resources Department by the posting closing date. May be delivered in person or:
Mailed to: P. O. Box 1984, Decatur, AL 35602
Emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Faxed to: (256) 341-4895
The Human Resources Department may be contacted at (256) 341-4890.
Due to the volume of responses received, we will not be able to provide a status of consideration. Candidates who have been selected for the next step in the review process will be notified.
The City of Decatur is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin or disability.