Director of Environmental Services
Job ID#: SW034005-210629
Classification: Exempt Service Position
Job Type: Full Time
Department: Street & Environmental Services Department
Position Type: Open Position
Salary Range Number: 24
Salary Range: Min: $70,854.07 – $107.812.84
Application Deadline: Jul 29, 2021
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- The Environmental Services Director is responsible for directing and overseeing solid waste collection and disposal and vehicle maintenance operations.
- Hires, supervises, directs, trains, develops and evaluates staff.
- Directs the efforts of environmental services through subordinates.
- Supervises office and field subordinates in support of waste management and vehicle maintenance programs.
- Recommends annual budget needs for operation and capital outlay programs.
- Develops short and long range plans to meet the community needs.
- Consults with Mayor, City Council members, local/state/federal government officials as needed to review department activities.
- Baccalaureate degree with major coursework in Civil Engineering, Public Administration, or Business or related field, with thorough experience in administrative and supervisory work in a public works setting, including solid waste collection/removal; experience in fleet/vehicle maintenance helpful. A Master’s degree is preferred.
- Experience sufficient to thoroughly understand the diverse objectives and functions of the subunits in the division/department in order to direct and coordinate work with the division/department, usually interpreted to require five or more years of related experience.
- Valid driver’s license required.
- Requires residency within the City of Decatur as per Resolution 00-325, adopted 10/23/2000.
Employment Applications are available on our website at www.decaturalabamausa.com, or from the Human Resources Department at City Hall-2nd Floor Tower, 402 Lee St NE, Decatur, AL 35602.
Completed employment application, with current resume (if available), must be returned to the City of Decatur Human Resources Department by the posting closing date. May be delivered in person or:
Mailed to: P. O. Box 1984, Decatur, AL 35602
Emailed to: email@example.com
Faxed to: (256) 341-4895
The Human Resources Department may be contacted at (256) 341-4890.
Due to the volume of responses received, we will not be able to provide a status of consideration. Candidates who have been selected for the next step in the review process will be notified.
The City of Decatur is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin or disability.