Assistant City Attorney
Job ID#: LE012003-210909
Classification: Exempt Service Position
Job Type: Part Time
Department: Legal Department
Position Type: Open Position
Salary Range Number: 23
Salary Range: Min: $64,190.29 – $97,673.11
Application Deadline: Sep 30, 2021
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- This position provides legal services to the Mayor, City Council, department directors and support staff.
- Advises the Mayor, City Council, and department directors on a variety of legal matters, including policy decisions.
- Drafts and/or reviews contracts; negotiates or supervises negotiations related to property acquisition; researches titles and drafts conveyance documents; closes real estate transactions.
- Investigates and makes findings on complaints against city employees; pursues disciplinary actions against city employees as appropriate.
- Prepares a variety of legal documents; advises city boards on legal matters; drafts and reviews proposed ordinances for Council consideration.
- Represents the City of Decatur in legal proceedings.
- Prosecutes cases in Municipal Court in the absence of the City Prosecutor.
- Performs the duties of the City Attorney in his or her absence.
- Graduation from an accredited school of law with current membership in the State Bar of Alabama.
- Sufficient experience to understand the basic principles relevant to the major duties of the position usually associated with the completion of an apprenticeship/internship or having had a similar position for one to two years.
- Must have current driver’s license.
Employment Applications are available on our website at www.decaturalabamausa.com, or from the Human Resources Department at City Hall-2nd Floor Tower, 402 Lee St NE, Decatur, AL 35602.
Completed employment application, with current resume (if available), must be returned to the City of Decatur Human Resources Department by the posting closing date. May be delivered in person or:
Mailed to: P. O. Box 1984, Decatur, AL 35602
Emailed to: email@example.com
Faxed to: (256) 341-4895
The Human Resources Department may be contacted at (256) 341-4890.
Due to the volume of responses received, we will not be able to provide a status of consideration. Candidates who have been selected for the next step in the review process will be notified.
The City of Decatur is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin or disability.